Monday, August 27, 2012

Smoothies 101


Smoothies are one of my favorite things to make for a number of reasons:

1.       You can make them in to a snack, meal, recovery drink after a workout, a boost of nutrition when sick and solid food isn’t appetizing…the list goes on

2.       Smoothies are the epitome of the “everything but the kitchen sink” saying.  They are a great way to use fruits and vegetables that are a little more than ripe.

3.       You can adjust the nutrition and calories based on what you add to the smoothie.

4.       They can be made gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, etc.

5.       If you have a picky eater at home you can bring-out certain flavors (usually fruits) that will help mask others (like vegetables that might not be their favorite).

6.       Fiber tends to be that elusive nutrition component that people find hard to incorporate into their diet; smoothies are an easy way to boost fiber!
 

Here are some of my favorite smoothie tips and ingredients:

Tips
1.       For concentrated nutrition: instead of adding ice for texture, freeze the fruits or vegetables that you will incorporate.

2.       For more of a dessert smoothie: instead of using ice cream, cut the fat and sugar by using nonfat yogurt.  Nonfat Greek yogurt provides more protein than regular yogurt and non-flavored (plain) yogurt cuts a good amount of sugar.

3.       Swap out the peanut butter for silken tofu to save calories and fat.

4.       Buying frozen fruits/vegetables can save you a lot at the register, especially when those items are out of season.

Ingredients
1.       Silken tofu – this kind of tofu has a creamy consistency which is perfect for smoothies, as opposed to its firm or extra firm counterpart that imparts a grittier texture.  Nasoya brand is made from organic non-GMO whole soybeans. It’s a plant protein, cholesterol free, and gluten-free. It contributes only 45 calories for 1 (91 gram) serving, and 4 grams of protein.

2.       My nephew, Jonah, doesn’t love the flavor of bananas, but likes the milkshake-consistency they contribute to smoothies.  The fiber in flaxseeds gives them the ability to bulk-up the consistency of liquids to which they're added.  I always add ground flaxseeds or flaxseed meal to his smoothies.
a.      Flaxseeds (or linseeds) are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseed oil actually contains twice as much omega-3s as fish oil. Flaxseed meal also packs 4 grams of fiber for every 2 tablespoons.
b.   Remember to always purchase already ground flaxseeds (flaxseed meal) or grind your own whole flaxseeds before using to wreap their nutrition benefits.
c.   Always store your flaxseed meal in the freezer to avoid the rapid onset of rancidity (going bad) and your whole flaxseeds in a cool dark place.

3.       Greens, of any kind, are one of my all-time favorite smoothie ingredients.  People often recommend adding avocado to smoothies.  Avocados are a great source of nutrients, but since they are pretty expensive I savor their addition to salads and have a hard time juicing them down.  Instead, I love using leafy greens.  We never finish a whole bag of greens, whether romaine, boston, butter, spinach, etc. because we simply just get sick of salad.  I never want to throw them out though, so I always add them to smoothies. I also buy my beets with the greens still attached. I often use the greens in my smoothies. You can never have too many leafy greens in your diet.

4.       I could eat berries all day, and I usually do, so I stock up on them when they’re in season.  They are so simple to freeze to use throughout the winter.  My dad has a bunch of blueberry bushes and I am more than happy to bring back baskets full of them. Once I get home I rinse the blueberries, lay them out on a baking sheet, and put them in the freezer. Once frozen, I store them in 1 cup portions in Ziploc bags with the date, and use them as needed for smoothies.  Berries, especially blueberries, contribute great color to your smoothie!

5.       I’ve found that the more ‘tropical’ flavored fruits are a great addition to any smoothie to mask some of the bitterness that greens may impart. Kiwi is tart and is perfect for an all-green smoothie. Pineapple is sweet and its juicy consistency helps to thin out smoothies that may get thick. You can find frozen Mango pieces at most grocery stores and supermarkets.  Their unique taste adds layers of flavor to any smoothie.

6.       I have a dairy sensitivity/non-anaphylactic allergy so I do my best to avoid it.  I miss the dairy component in my diet, though, so I usually use Almond Milk as a substitute. The consistency is not overly thick and the subtle nutty/earthy flavor is a welcomed addition to the often fruity-flavored smoothies that I make.

Hope you get a chance to try some of these in your next smoothie…Enjoy!


Be well,

Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment