Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Party Like a Rockstar: Gluten-Free-Style!


I thought it might be fun (and encouraging) to share some pictures from a surprise birthday party I recently threw for my husband, Austin.  Austin does not have Celiac Disease, but he eats gluten-free at our house 100% of the time.  A lot of people I talk to that have Celiac or know someone who needs to be gluten-free are intimidated by the thought of undertaking a whole gluten-free event, but since my brother, two of our close friends and myself all have Celiac, it made the most since to make the whole event gluten-free!  In fact, regardless of how many other people are gluten-free, I always make all of my parties/events gluten-free…anyone can eat g-free without harm!


Gluten-free parties can be simple & fun!
 
 
 
A little background about Austin
Austin turned 25 in August.  He is a professional drummer and loves music (between his ipod, record player, and constant hand/foot beats there is never a quiet moment at our place!). He is probably the kindest person I’ve ever known, he loves his friends and family, and his smile is the first thing you notice about him…and since I love playing tricks on him and surprising him, a surprise party was the best way to celebrate this ‘Quarter Time’ event in his life!
A little background about the party
Since Austin loves music and is a drummer, I did the party in a drummer/music theme. I created a party rider (like a concert rider a musician would send to a venue before playing a show) that explained the menu, games & music. I kept the food simple, fresh & gluten-free: grilled chicken ‘drumsticks’ with a dry spice rub, corn salsa salad, watermelon & potato chips, coca-cola and water to drink, and cupcakes (from Betty Crocker and Wegman's brand gluten-free cake mixes!) for dessert. We went for a laid back (just like Austin) picnic-style event at a beautiful state park near our apartment. Not only was the party a surprise, but some of Austin’s family from Phoenix, AZ surprised him by coming in to see him too!
We made the cakestands out of glass bottles and old records
 
 
 
My sister Laurie (who also took these beautiful pictures) and my niece Addysen (in the piñata photo) helped put the party together (planning, food, decorations, set-up, etc.).  My friend Jen (author of the blog: Jen Loves Kev) handmade the Quarter Note piñata which was filled with gluten-free candies and goodies for the kids (and lets face it, most of the adults too!). A big thanks to Jen’s husband, Kevin, who, as a friend of Austin’s, was able to get him to the party!
 
Be well,
Lacey

2 comments:

  1. It was such a fun event! And you need to post the recipe for the corn salsa, it was yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvella,

      So glad you had a good time, and so glad you're following the blog. I hope you're enjoying it! I do love that corn salsa recipe, it's so simple. I will, absolutely, post it...be on the look-out.

      Delete