Saturday, September 15, 2012

These are a Few of My Favorite Gluten-Free Things

This is what I look like after I've gotten a few of my favorite gluten-free things :)
The Sound of Music is a yearly tradition for me in the fall...haven't we all dreamed of singing our hearts out in the mountains of the European country-side? ...no, just me?
 
September 13th was National Celiac Awareness Day, its like a holiday at our place.  Although, due to very busy schedules this time around we didn’t get to celebrate it in our typical pig-out-on-all-my-favorite-gfree-foods-and-treats way.  The day was still a great one for me, and I made sure to celebrate it in other ways. Amidst the busy work schedule and lots of driving time, I talked with friends and strangers about Celiac Disease (CD) and living gluten-free (GF).  I was so happy to share information and tips with an aunt of a newly diagnosed college freshman, help educate a renal physician on some of the details of CD, swap some of my GF baking tips with a friend in exchange for her expertise in regards to her delicious Indian dishes, and reminisce with a friend and my brother about some of our funniest (and not so funny) experiences with CD, and I even made room for 4 treats in celebration of the day! Since I couldn’t hit up my gfree favorites, I thought I’d do the next best thing and share them with you! Hope you can enjoy them sometime too and be sure to let me know if you ever do!


Foods/Meals
Although I never used to, I LOVE vegetables! They top my list because they are naturally GF and easy to find!
Ina Garten’s (the barefoot contessa) lemon chicken.  She did not specifically design this recipe to be GF, but each of the ingredients can be found, very easily…right at the grocery store, in a GF version. (click here for the recipe)

Wegmans (a grocery store if you are unfamiliar) Microwave Mashed Potatoes! Since being GF requires that the majority of your food be made from ‘scratch’ in your own home, I love finding whole food items that are simple to put together in a pinch and do not sacrifice flavor or nutrition.  I love mashed potatoes but amidst all of the other cooking and baking I do, I love this convenient way to enjoy the creamy-deliciousness of mashed potatoes in minutes! On top of that, Wegmans is a champion for food labeling…they label each of their GF brand products with a clearly visible (right on the front of the package) gluten-free label! It makes shopping enjoyable again! (click here to check out Wegmans)

Betty Crocker GF cake mixes! I love baking, but sometimes I need to get a dessert together in no time.  GF baking often requires the use of multiple flours and ingredients.  Betty’s cake mixes are convenient and delicious! (click here to get a good look at Betty)

My brother and I were on a non-stop hunt for a donut that even somewhat resembled the moist-cakey richness of a gluten-full donut. We tried so many (not complaining), but that buttery mouthfeel was just missing from too many of them.  Then, we found   Vin-chet’s bakery near Buffalo, NY…best donuts we’ve found so far! I’ll be making a trip out there soon and I’m hoping I’ll find some fresh made donuts (wish they would make cider donuts) with which to spend my afternoon J(click here for their website)


Restaurants
Sherry Lynn’s is a 100% totally gluten-free restaurant in Albany, NY.  Sherry & Howie (the owner’s & operators) serve up traditional American fare.  The kind you can’t get anywhere else and know that you are, for SURE, safe from gluten.  I always stop for their Mozzarella Sticks & Mac’n’Cheese! If you visit, tell Sherry and Howie I sent you…after being harassed for a minute for being a friend of mine, you'll get to enjoy some great food! (click here to get a good look at Sherry Lynns)
I’ve written about Mingle before!  I actually did their GF foodservice consulting to help them create a wonderful and SAFE (in regards to any potential for cross-contamination) atmosphere for anyone with CD or GF needs.  If you are ever in the Albany, NY area stop for their Lobster Mac’n’Cheese…you can also check out my review right here on this blog J(click here to Mingle)


Activities
Tis’ the season for apple picking! It’s a great GF activity to do with friends and the whole family…plus it supports local agriculture.

Picnics are fun to have during the summer at a park or in the yard and even during the cold winter months; just clear some space on the living room floor and throw open a comfy blanket.

I love bowling for 3 reasons: #1 its bowling #2 I kind of ‘weirdly’ rock at bowling & beat Austin most of the time (I espcailly love that!) and #3 bowling alleys tend to be so laid back and, frankly, often neglected (in a ‘it has character’ kind of way!), so most will let you bring in your own GF snacks and treats.  Be sure to bring snacks that you can pop in your mouth right from the package or bring lots of handy-wipes J

I come from a competitive family, so sports have been an outlet for generations.  Football season brings back so many fun memories of growing up and continues to inspire new ones.  Tailgating can be a celiac’s best friend and I love it; You can prepare your own food and keep it safe  on separate table with its own utensils, but still interact and experience the pre-game weather and chatter!  Food displayed on pop-up tables, family lounging in lawn chairs, friends huddled around cups of chili…and lots of my gluten-free goodies to share with everyone, it doesn’t get much better than that!
 
Be well,
Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment