Sunday, August 5, 2012

"STICK IT" In honor of the USA 2012 Women's Gymnastics Gold Medal Team!


There are a number of steps I take to prepare for traveling and staying in a non-gluten free environment, whether an hour from our home for the weekend or overseas to watch the Olympics (I'll get there someday!), to ensure that I can enjoy the trip instead of having to focus on keeping myself safe from gluten.  One of my favorite ways to prevent being accidently contaminated with gluten while at a friend’s or family’s house, is to use The Gluten Free Nutritionist’s ‘GF’ sticker template that I created! I often send a handful of these stickers in a “Can’t Wait to See You” greeting card ahead of my arrival to my sister’s or parent’s house.   My niece and nephews love to label all of the un-opened gluten-free products (peanut butter, fruit preserves, etc.) they’ve purchased in preparation of our arrival…sometimes they even just like wearing them!
I would have loved to have been able to travel to London for the Olympics and watch the USA Women's gymnastics team "stick-it" and win Gold...these stickers would have come in handy for that trip too! I will be traveling, soon, to western Pennsylvania, though, to be in my cousin’s wedding.  I could not be more excited for her and her husband-to-be, so I want to make sure that I am healthy in order to help in any way I can.  Therefore, I have begun my gluten-free food planning and preparation, now, so that I am not distracted and scrambling at the last minute to find something safe to eat or am unable to dance all night because of failing blood sugar. 
I belong to a spirited and lively extended family that loves to cook, bake and eat gluten-full food, which always makes for eventful holidays, but it also creates a potentially hazardous eating environment for me and my brother; the only two in the family that have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease (so far!).  Not to mention, there are still a few family members who do not “believe” in the severity of our disease and often discount the effects it has on our health.  That type of social environment can be just as difficult to plan for and takes a lot of good practice and humor! I am not sure these stickers can help solve that problem, although you might try using them to keep their mouth securely closed during family visits J
Feel free to share this template! What creative ways will you use this sticker template? I’d love to hear your ideas!

(You can right click on the template above, select 'copy' & then 'paste' it onto a word document to print.)

The sticker template includes:
  • 15 large stickers for the front of product containers and lids that are wider than 1-inch in diameter (mayonnaise jars, etc.)
  • 4 small stickers for containers and lids less than 1-inch in diameter  (ketchup bottle tops, etc.)

You will need:
  • A Printer
           Make sure the paper size is set at 8.5"x11"
  • Sticker Paper
I print the template on Avery brand 8.5”x11” clear finish sticker paper (4383) or Office Maxbrand white full sheet sticker paper (I’ve found that the Office Max sticker paper holds up better).
  • Something with which to cut out your stickers

I use a 1-inch circle punch for a quick way to cut-out the larger stickers and a simple pair of scissors for the smaller stickers.


Be well,

Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment