Sunday, July 29, 2012

Simply Delicious Bread


Just a quick post today to share one of my all-time favorite gluten free bread recipes from the baking book Easy Gluten-Free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone (my go-to resource whenever I want those classic breads, quick breads and desserts but can’t find anything in the store or a bakery that rivals the mouthfeel and texture of gluten-containing breads).  I have not yet shared any recipes on the blog, this will officially be my first, but was inspired by @CeliacRunner to share this bread recipe.  An avid runner, she has completed more marathons than you can count on your fingers and is using her experiences to inspire others with Celiac Disease to be healthy and active…her discipline and drive are such a motivation for my own marathon training!

I am happy to be able to share this delicious bread recipe with you that are looking to finally find a homemade yet simple bread recipe to replace the freezer-dwelling over-priced pre-made loaves you find in the store.   You’ll love this recipe for its texture and mouthfeel, plus its simple…no kneading or proofing. I use this bread for cold and hot sandwiches, French toast, bread pudding, and croutons. Enjoy!




Wet Ingredients

1 ¾ cups warm water

1 packet active dry yeast (I use Fleischmann's brand)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use canola)

2 large eggs



Dry Ingredients

2 ½ cups brown rice flour (I use Bob Redmill's brand)

2/3 cup cornstarch (I use Clabber Girl brand)

2/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk (I use Carnation brand, its fortified with vitamins A & D)

1 tablespoon xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

Equipment
*You will need a 9x5-inch loaf pan – lightly greased with gluten-free cooking spray


How to Make

1. Combine warm water and yeast. (I combine them in a spouted measuring cup for an easy pour later)

2. In a medium bowl (I use the mixing bowl for my KitchenAid mixer), whisk dry ingredients. 

3. Add yeast mixture, oil, and eggs.

4. Using an electric mixer (I use the paddle attachment, NOT the dough hook), mix dough for 5-minutes. The dough will be soft, thick, and sticky (it will NOT form a cohesive ball). If the dough seems tight or dry, add another tablespoon of water and mix for another 30-seconds.

5. Spread batter evenly into the greased loaf pan. Lightly spray a piece of plastic wrap with the cooking spray and lightly lay the wrap over the loaf (do NOT secure the wrap tightly around the pan, air needs to be able to move in and out over the dough).

6. Allow the dough to rise for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°F at some point during that hour.

7. Remove the plastic wrap from the loaf and bake for 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 208-211°F. If the crust is getting too dark, you can lightly cover the loaf with a piece of aluminum foil.

8. Remove the loaf and turn over onto a wire rack to cool. This bread freezes well, too (slice before freezing).



Be well,

Lacey

1 comment:

  1. This seems simple enough that I can even make this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete