Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Celebrating Marriage & Gluten Free Food: A Restaurant Review


Yesterday (July 24th) my husband, Austin, and I celebrated two years of marriage! I am extremely grateful to have a husband that goes above and beyond when it comes to offering me support and encouragement with my special dietary needs (SDNs), especially because I have seen, too many times, situations in which this is not the case.  Over the past two years it has been a joy to watch Austin at my speaking events, wellness fairs, autoimmune charity events, etc. advocating for and raising awareness about Celiac and Graves Disease and the gluten free lifestyle. 
If you have Celiac, you know that it’s not unusual to spend every holiday planning and preparing food for yourself and any others who are gluten free.  That is why I love traveling around and doing Special Dietary Needs – specifically gluten free – restaurant kitchen overhauls and staff trainings! Not only does it raise awareness about Celiac Disease and the realities of SDNs, it also broadens my opportunities for socializing (something I have missed so much since having to go gluten free), and I can rest assured that my food is being prepared and served in a safe and thoughtful way. 
One of the restaurants I have worked with most recently is an ethnic fusion restaurant in Albany, NY called Mingle.  I had a wonderful time working with the owners and staff at this restaurant and learning about their mission to offer quality food with a conscience to the “vast minority.”  They have partnered with local farmers and food co-ops to support sustainable community-based food systems; their mission and vision is evident in everything they do and every meal that is created. 
This restaurant is on the right track and is leagues ahead of many food businesses I have seen that advertise “gluten free food” (what a danger some of them are!).  The owners were open and supportive of the changes I recommended they make,  from a structural redesign of their kitchen that included: purchasing new separate, covered and hooded preparation stations to expunge any opportunity for airborne cross-contamination, as well as all-separate and color-coded pots, pans, cutting boards, utensils, etc. to partnering with a local 100% gluten free bakery for bread products, and trainings in which I educated chefs and sous chefs in safe SDNs food preparation, as well as wait-staff in menu-guidance and table service for SDNs.
This restaurant has quickly reached the top of my favorite places to eat list for both atmosphere/food and SDNs safety! I do not need to go in to detail about the food, because it tastes as good as it looks…as you will see from the pictures.  There are so many creative options on the menu, and that goes for the gluten free menu and vegan options too…you will not be disappointed with the variety they offer! This is a great place to spend a quiet dinner with someone special or a Friday night out with friends, probably not somewhere for young kids, though.
If you are in the NY Capital District area and are looking for a tasty out-of-the-box gluten free meal, Mingle is a must.  Ask for Jose or Julie and let them know I sent you, they will be sure you have a wonderful time!









Our two-year anniversary dinner
We ordered two gluten free entrees to share (we will get both of them again!)
·         5 Cheese Lobster Mac  - Creamy and smooth with notes of sharp garlic (contains
        dairy...a lot of it!)
·         Filet Diane – Perfectly prepared and topped with meaty mushrooms in a sweet cabernet sauce, layers of flavor.  Comes with sliced/roasted sweet potatoes that I would order as an appetizer if I could!
For dessert:
Raspberry Belgium Chocolate Mousse –  It might not look like enough to share, but it is rich and filling, it was a great way to end the night.


Heres to happy eating J
Be well,

Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment